As a business owner running a business in the import/export industry, one must be aware of the SASO Certificate of Conformity- which includes two basic Certificate of Conformity- Product Certificate of Conformity and Shipment Certificate of Conformity. These two certificates are mandatory for products imported to Saudi Arabia. A Certificate of Conformity is testimony to the product’s compliance with international laws- in this case, technical regulations set by SASO.
Any product imported to Saudi Arabia is first tested. Factory audited in the home country to ensure its quality and safety standards are relevant to SASO. After the test and audit reports are satisfactory, a Product Certificate of Conformity is issued for the product. While the procedures are almost identical, the certificate changes regarding electrical and electronic products.
A SASO IECEE Recognition Certificate replaces the Product Certificate of Conformity for electrical and electronic items imported to Saudi Arabia. The role of this certificate remains like that of any Certificate of Conformity-which is to testify against the technical regulations set by SASO for products imported to Saudi Arabia.
What is IECEE?
Let us look at the question by breaking the abbreviation down into two parts- IEC and EE. IEC stands for International Electrotechnical Committee and is a non-profit organization set up to prepare and publish quality and safety standards for all electrical, electronic, and related products. This organization works in collaboration with over 20,000+ experts from different fields. The committee has members from the commerce and trade industry, government, academia, test, and research labs, subject matter experts, scientists, and consumer groups working under one roof to standardize protocols and quality assessment procedures for electrical and electronic items.
The latter part that is- EE, stands for Electrotechnical Equipment. To summarise, IECEE is an international committee that works on setting standards for electrotechnical equipment. The major role of IECEE is to facilitate import/export across countries and continents of electrical and electronic equipment based on standards of quality and safety put together by IECEE as international standards. IECEE ensures that the products are tested to the same safety and quality procedures wherever they are manufactured. This, in turn, harmonizes the entire import/export spectrum with national and international laws intact.
SASO IECEE CB Scheme Explained
IECEE has set standards for conformity assessment procedures and safety measures that are required to be guaranteed by the electrical and electronic items exported to different parts of the world. The IECEE CB Scheme is valid for every exporter manufacturing or exporting an electrical product or an electronic component intended for use in homes, offices, workshops, medical facilities, etc.
The IECEE CB Scheme is based on the mutual acceptance of international communities. It has a broader geographical reach than schemes like the CE mark, which is only relevant in the European continent.
According to the IECEE CB Scheme, the category of electrotechnical equipment require conformity assessment by third-party certification bodies. As a manufacturer, one cannot self-declare to the scheme’s standards. This calls for the need and establishment of a National Certification Body (NCB), accredited by national authorities, to conduct conformity assessment procedures and relevant testing mechanisms to certify a product against the IECEE CB Scheme.
The IECEE CB Scheme is based on mutual recognition of Certification Body test reports by IEC member countries. This means that once a product is tested against IECEE standards by an accredited NCB of a particular country, the products can travel across borders with satisfactory test reports and will not require additional testing after reaching an IEC member country. Under exceptional circumstances only, re-testing of the item is asked.
After an NCB generates a satisfactory test report, the product is given a CB certification that helps transition smoothly from one country to another.
The IECEE CB Scheme generally applies to electrical and electronic items used in homes, offices, commercial complexes, and medical facilities. Let us look at the category of electrotechnical equipment under CB Scheme-
- Cables and Cords
- Capacitors as components
- Switches for appliances
- Automatic controls for electrical household appliances
- Electrical Energy Efficiency
- Electrical Vehicles
- Electromagnetic Compatibility
- Household and similar equipment
- Industrial Automation
- Hazardous Substances Testing Service
- Installation accessories and connection devices
- Electrical equipment for medical use
- Measurement, control, and laboratory equipment
- IT and office equipment
- Low voltage, high power switching equipment
- Installation protective equipment
- Safety Transformers
- Electric toys
CB Scheme and CB Certificate Precisely
The IECEE Certification Body Scheme (CB Scheme) is an international system of mutual acceptance of test reports and certificates dealing with the safety and quality of electrical and electronic components, equipment, and products operated by the IEC System of Conformity Assessment Schemes for Electrotechnical Equipment and Components (IECEE).
CB Scheme is a joint agreement between participating countries and certification bodies that focuses on improving and facilitating trade across countries by bringing international standards and national interests under one umbrella.
There are more than 50 CB Scheme member countries, including the EU and its member states, Russia, China, India, Korea, and the United States of America.
The CB Scheme runs on a global network of CB testing laboratories authorized to test products on the laid technical standards. Product test reports are then submitted to member countries’ official National Certification Bodies (NCBs), which can authorize access to the tested products without additional tests.
The main pillars that benefitted from the SASO IECEE Recognition Certificate are-
- Government can facilitate smoother trade and commerce system within the country since multiple testing is not required.
- Through CB Scheme, import/export has become simpler, cheaper, and faster.
- Products with SASI IECEE Recognition Certificate assure quality and safety standards to the consumers.
Facts to know about SASO IECEE Recognition Certificate
- A SASO IECEE Recognition Certificate is valid for a year.
- It takes 10-15 days for the issuance of the certificate after successfully submitting the required documents.
- It is possible to certify multiple model numbers under one SASO IECEE Recognition Certificate if listed on the same CB test reports and IECEE Certificate.
- A SASO Recognition Certificate is registered and linked to an importer’s CR number, which is unique to every importer.
Document requirements for SASO IECEE Recognition Certificate
Third-party accredited parties issue a SASO IECEE Recognition Certificate. The certificate requires importers/exporters to submit relevant documents to the Certification Body for the transparent and smooth generation of the SASO IECEE Recognition Certificate.
Let us look at the documents needed –
- CB test report and CB test certificate within five years of validity
- Manufacturer business license
- Importer business license
- Product photos and markings
- User manual in Arabic or Arabic and English (with product description/model number, specification, procedures, and safety instructions for using the product)
- Importer declaration of conformity
- Manufacturer declaration of conformity
Let VERGER help you with SASO IECEE Recognition Certificate.
Please review the short process to ensure your products reach the Saudi market without customs hassles.
- Please send us a request for CB Test Certificate and test report.
- We will work on testing as per IEC regulations.
- Once the test reports are out, we will review the documents and issue the CB Test Certificate for the product.
- SASO then reviews the CB test report and certificate for final confirmation.
- After SASO approval, SASO IECEE Recognition Certificate is issued for the product over the SABER platform.